Saturday, 30 April 2011

When you want to go to the library go, even if you should be sleeping


I'm not sure how I ended up on a library computer and 2.21am blogging.  I was on my way back to my university halls from another flat (where I got fairly hyped up on chocolate, Harry Potter and lemonade... which could have something to do with it. Yes I'm nearly 19 years old.).  I only got back to uni today after a long Easter holiday, and being on campus here means having the library a) dead close and b) always open, which I don't exactly have avaliable at home.  And since I left my macbook at home, this is my only means of internet access, when I'm not hijacking friend Sam's laptop -.-

Basically, I'll go bed in a sec, but I felt like a detour.
After a long morning of cutting and sticking and embellishing and organzing and a little worrying at home, I finally completed my first year portfolio, which meant heading back to freedom in halls and doing nothinggggg but finishing my Hayao Miyazaki autobiography, listening to new music and dozing off mid-afternoon.  Made a stop in Manchester to meet Sam first, who was great company as ever ^^ we went had sushi and a walk round Afflecks Palace (to anyone who hasn't been, I recommend it and so do the rest of Manchester).  Then we continued the journey back to watch Harry Potter 7 with Fran, who also lives in Sam's halls.  Feel pretty happy at the prospect of carrying on like this till the big judgment of my performance this year. Mmmm eeeek ><
Been thinking quite a lot about illustration recently.  This easter my dad told me about this experiment that I think sort of describe why my feelings towards drawing have sort of changed this year.
A team of psychologists selected the most artistically-inclined members of a primary school Yr1 class and split them into two groups.  They let them all go for free time to do drawing, and at the end they let the first group leave straightaway.  But they gave the second group of children 5p per drawing they completed.  They did this every day for a week, and then observed changes in behaviour.  They found that more than half the of the second group were now not inclined to choose to do drawing and colouring at play time.

Maybe this doesn't make any sense - you'd think if you were paid to do something you did for fun, you'd be in heaven. I still do, but I'm definitely feeling a major shift in my drawing being a chill pastime to being something I'm judged on and represents my academic achievement, which is quite scary.  Because your personal work being criticised can be hard, or suddenly seeing that something you find happiness in might be a source of stress in the future. Anyway, I think this helped me because I realised I'll get used to it, and that it'll be a great thing when I get over myself.

Also, did photoshopping on my Royal Tenenbaums sketch from last year.  Just ink pen letters with some watercolour, the letters used are from the words RICHIE and MARGOT and TENENBAUMS...get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment