Quick sketch of Samuel Beckett, playwright, from a good while ago.
Not so much about the hair or colouring -.- mehhhh
Still at work experience in Manchester. Being in this studio is really my first time looking at the process of professional animation (my one-minute animation I made last year was entirely cobbled together on Photoshop and was such a massive memory-suck, my laptop could hardly play it, never mind export it) and it's amazing, I'm seeing animated TV shows and stuff being conjured out of nowhere in front of my very eyes :3
So this post is animation themed. This blog is a course project for Illustration, but really design seems like it all just meshes so it's perfectly relevant.
First off, saw the new Studio Ghibli film Arrietty at the Cornerhouse, and it was as charming and gorgeous as Ghibli invariably is. I'm a massive fan of all things Miyazaki's involved with, him doing the screenplay gave me immediate confidence it'd be great. It's definitely one for younger audiences but I really recommend seeing it, anyone would love it ^^
Three other decent animation films seen July - August
Chico and Rita, really colourful, set in Cuba. We got it on Lovefilm, and at first I found the style a bit off-putting to watch, but by the end I was in love with the characters. I thought the way it showed the changes in the music industry in the '50s was romantic, and simple, even I could follow it. Summer Wars which I bought the other week and have watched it four times already. Same director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Digimon: The Movie (without knowing it was Mamoru Hosada who directed it, I thought it looked like 'TGWLTT meets the Digimon movie') and is about as unrealistic and also addictive to watch ♥ Aaaaaand The Illusionist, directed by Sylvain Chomet, and followed an illusionist's waning career. Enjoyed it to begin with, but was really, really bored by the end. But thats just my opinion...it was very pretty.
Was also prompted to seeing this animation this week. It's only little, take a look. Caught my attention because of it being Sigur Ros ofc, but the art is lovely too.
By Future Shorts.

very nice i enjoy your style
ReplyDeletea quick sketch???
ReplyDeletewow i dont think i can do this quickly! :D
(well, i dont even think i can do this)
awww ive never been in a real studio, i'm jealous :)
oh i LOVE Sigur Ros tooo, thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend,
xoxo