I tried painting this because I'm not really practised at working on a large scale. So I thought maybe try something on A1 involving big blank spaces and simple shapes, as that way I could work on shading and blending without worrying about fiddly sections, or making big mistakes with colour and dimensions. I actually love it even though it's a bit meh, so I've kept it stuck on the back of my door where I painted it :) it's so nice finishing something like this! Looks better in real life. I wish I was more of a painter, I'm definitely going to try something like this again.
Pencilled it out first, then used blue and yellow acrylic paint, metallic gold and white paints to shade the umbrella shapes, and grey ink for the 'loose edge' outlines. Blending gold into the background may have been a tricky idea, but it's done now so heyyy
The chinese characters weren't originally going to be there, but the blank space should have something there. They mean 'Golden Blue', which I came up with based on the colours used, and because it's set against the sky.
So that would be it.
In bed with Jack Johnson (ooerrrr I wish), a box of tissues, Empire magazine and a hot water bottle because I'm not very well -.- but at least the confinement to the indoors means I can get going with my new project - writing and illustrating a children's book :D mega excited, but need to work on a decent concept. Ideas welcome!



love your work suzi , your blog looks amazing .
ReplyDelete