Tuesday, 13 March 2012

DD2000 Design Practice: Wayne Hemingway's Talk



Here's the second and final review of design practice talks I've attended this year.  I went to a few to find one I wanted to review, and I'm so glad I waited till I'd been to the Hemingway talk because it was sooo good.  Wayne Hemingway was an inspiring and interesting speaker.  He's had so much experience in design, and came across as what I can only describe as 'the genuine article'. Yeahhhh I'll keep the gushing to a minimum.
His talk began with his quirky story about how he got into the design industry. He and his girlfriend - now wife - Gerardine met and moved to Camden Town in London in their teens.  One day when they were especially stuck for rent money, they had little choice other than to sell their clothes - mostly second hand and self-made - at a stall, back before Camden Market was a tourist hotspot.  Through Gerardine's designs and Hemingway's initiative (liked his stories, such as scrounging and then mending for sale hundreds of flawed Dr Marten boots from the factory) they were soon a fixture at Camden.  Then a scout from Macy's in New York commissioned their designs, and the rest as they say is history. Hemingway's retelling of their story was told with such humorous anecdotes and interesting titbits about 70's marketing and fashion that we literally forgot this was a lecture.
His talk also contained a lot of good advice, a key bit I remember was basically to get off our asses and go the extra mile.  Although neither he nor Gerardine went to college or had a background in fashion or art and design, they kept an eye out for opportunity and took any that came their way, and it paid off.  Another memorable question he asked of us was 'what do you stand for?'.  Hemingway told us about when he and Gerardine were first starting up their fashion line Red or Dead, and they were advised to think about that question by a prominent designer.  As he put it, it changed their way of thinking.  Why you do what you do is key to being a designer.  He advised us all to be sure about what we stand for, and to follow through with our message in our work.  It's certainly something that's stuck with me since.
Hemingway's talk was ultimately appealing the design students to help out with the Preston Guild Festival this summer, as Hemingway designs are organising much of it, and his own Vintage Festival.  He showed us some videos and gave us a lot of information about who to speak to about being involved and encouraged us to attend.  To find out more about the Vintage Festival, click here.

Word count: 448

No comments:

Post a Comment